Optics and photonics are playing an increasing role in aircraft and aviation.
Main segments are:
- Smart glass for controlling the dimming of the plane’s windows.
- Sensors and integrated photonics for next generation AR-HUD (Heads Up Displays) systems, which project new types of virtual images across larger fields of view.
- Thermal imaging for structural monitoring to determine damage to the aircraft’s internal and external structure.
- Laser-based additive manufacturing (3D printing) for on demand production of parts as well as laser beam welding and cutting and ultrashort pulsed lasers for surface structuring and functionalization.
- LiDAR for wind/turbulence measurement, obstacle detection and auto-landing.
- Sensors to measure air pressure, speed, density, and temperature.