Photonics technologies are used extensively in advanced manufacturing to reduce costs and improve manufacturing processes.
Main segments are:
- Precision laser systems for cutting, drilling, welding, with the ability to produce high-quality components and assemblies precisely and repeatedly.
- Laser surface structuring for easy-to-clean, anti-bacteria and decorative metal surfaces.
- Optical lithography for mass production of semiconductor chips.
- Additive manufacturing, or 3-D printing builds parts on demand producing less waste compared with traditional subtractive processes and reducing warehouse costs.
- Hyperspectral imaging for identifying the chemical properties of materials across the electromagnetic spectrum for process monitoring a wide range of products.