Photonics and optics are playing key roles in sensing, communications and weapon systems for security and defence, as well as for Critical Infrastructure Protection due to the increase in use of unmanned vehicles that can be used as spy or attack devices.
Main segments are:
- THz and multiwaveband imaging for airport security.
- Light based technologies and biometric techniques for scanning eyes and fingerprints.
- Cameras for border and street surveillance, and traffic control.
- LiDAR applications for missile defence and targeting.
- Laser systems using quantum cryptography for secure battlefield communication.
- Photonics devices for direction finding, signal decoding, radar deception and jamming.