Optoelectronic devices are used in a wide variety of application areas such as optical fiber communications, laser technology, and all kinds of optical metrology.
Main devices are:
- Laser diodes, super-luminescent diodes, LEDs and OLEDs that convert electrical energy to light.
- Photodetectors that convert optical signals into electrical currents.
- Electro-optic modulators, used for manipulating power, phase or polarization of light with an electrical control signal.
- Photonic integrated circuits (PICs), which use silicon waveguides to integrate electrical and optical components on a single, e.g., gallium arsenide or indium phosphide chip.
- Silicon photonics is made possible by the integration of optoelectronic devices with conventional transistor-based electronics on a silicon chip.